Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Race of Grace



This past Saturday I raced in the Race of Grace Triathlon in Philadelphia, MS. I entered at the last minute, thinking this would be more fun than doing the regular long run in the heat back in Jackson. Of course, it was also hot in Philadelphia!

This was the 5th running of this race and featured a new out-and back bike course and a new out-and-back run course. So really, a "new" race this year. The swim was a point-to-point 1/4 mile swim in a private lake, nicely marked with frequent left and right buoys (almost like lane lines at the pool!). The bike course was rolling terrain through the countryside and the run course was a series of short hills....both courses were very reminiscent of the Memphis in May course.




I snapped this photo with the iPhone. I was among the first to arrive. I got a kick out of the transition area located in the hay field.

It wasn't my best day at the races. You think ahead of time....How difficult could it be to swim 400m, bike 17 mi, and run 5k? And I think the same thing afterwards. But, yet....

There were some funny moments at the race. It was a time trial start, according to self-estimated swim times. I was #4....but there were no #1 or #2 (they reserved those #'s for last year's winners who failed to show). We get lined up before the start, in numerical order. The guy who's #5 looks at me (sort of up and down) and asks incredulously, "YOU'RE #4?" I sheepishly said yes. It turned out that he swam past me rather effortlessly. I'm sure he felt like the hero.

Beware the green carpet! The embankment at the swim exit was pretty steep....only 10-15 feet or so, but pretty steep. And the race people decided to have the green indoor-outdoor carpet stretch from in the water to the top of the embankment. Only 2 swimmers got out before me, but the carpet was totally wet for my exit. I started running up the carpet, fell, and slid on my belly back into the water. It created a bit of a stir....and the volunteers did their best to help. Glad no photos were taken.

It was tremendously hot and humid for the race. The first (and only) aid station for the run was at the 1-mile mark, at the top of a hill. By this point, I had already walked up the hill and concluded that I would be unable to eke out the 5k run. The volunteers were handing out water in the sunny street. Even though it was an extra 50 feet to walk, I took refuge under the aid station tent to regroup. Again, much attention from the volunteers....I just wanted to find an air conditioned vehicle to recover fromthe 1st mile of running. Hmmm....

I'm still hoping that one day I'll be able to show up at these races....and have a solid day. It ought to be easier. Next try....the Sunfish Triathlon in Meridian, MS, on July 11th.

1 comment:

Gordo Byrn said...

Larry,

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy!

:-)

g