Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunfish Triathlon 2009



I went to Meridian, Mississippi yesterday for the Sunfish Triathlon. This was the 23rd running of the race....and this year there were a record 330 entrants (including 60 from the Jackson area). Great turn-out by the Mississippi Heat.

We took this photo after the race, waiting for the awards ceremony. In the front row are Brandon Wilmoth, Alisha Wingerter, and Melanie Harrell. In the back row are Amanda Cassell, Matt Cassell, Matt Johnson, me, Sam Self, and Charlie Murray.

I spent the night in Meridian before the race and had pre-race dinner with Mel, Charlie, Alisha, and Brandon. Saw several others from Jackson at the Cresent City Grill, too.

The race took place at Bonita Lakes Park....1/3 mile swim, 17 mile bike, 5K run. The swim was a time trial start (I started 251st) in a triangle shape. The bike left the park and headed out-and-back over big rolling hills to the north of the park. The run happened around one of the lakes in the park, partly on the road and partly on paved running trail. It was typically hot and humid, but didn't seem nearly so bad as 2 weeks ago at the Race of Grace.

For me, it was a much better effort than 2 weeks ago. The swim was uneventful and intentionally slow. The bike got off to a poor start, though, with a rear flat in mile #2. Once again, it was a struggle to get the tubular off the wheel! I suppose I'm learning. My biggest worry as I was changing the tire was....I started 251st, there are only 330 racers, 12 racers started the swim each minute....and I could be LAST on the road if I don't hurry up! The rest of the bike ride was steady. The run was also pretty steady. Thankfully, no total meltdown in the heat today!

Like I said 2 weeks ago, it ought to be easier to put together an ultra-short swim, 17 mile bike, and 5K run. Someday! Soon? Next up....Heart O' Dixie Triathlon on July 25th. Back to the training routine....

No comments: